Boys and Girls Villages Foundation “History”

Founded in 1947
Original location – Chenault Air Base

Moved to its present location in 1951
Buildings donated by the Bel Estate
Three small cottages, kitchen, maintenance building, big house and staff living quarters.

  • 1964 Joy Cottage was built
  • 1971 Peace Cottage was built
  • 1982 Swimming Pool was added
  • 1986 On-Campus School Program started with the help of Barbara Bankens
    BESE Board Approved
  • 1986 Girl Village was opened (Faith Cottage in Sulphur)
  • 1991 the (CVA) Crime Victim’s Assistance Program began covering the five Parish area
  • 1991 Family Pavilion was built
  • 1994 The new on-campus school was built with the help of PPG Friends.

Campus Renovations:

  • 1993 Optimist Drive – Lake Charles Optimist Club
  • 1994 G.A. McElveen Drive – Wayne and Andy McElveen
  • 1996 James T. Austin Gym – Carl and Vickie Warden (beginning seed money and education)
  • 1993-1996 All cottages remodeled
  • 1997 New Food Distribution Center completed
  • 1998 Hope Cottage was built
  • 2001 Faith Cottage Sold
  • 2012 the (CVA) Program Stopped